Building Guidelines and Regulations

An extension to your home is considered PD, not requiring full Planning Permission, subject to some limitations and conditions.


There are 2 main areas through which homeowners can build or extend onto their home.

Permitted Development Rights

PD or Lawful Development is a government directive that allows homeowners to extend or make additions to their homes without the need for a full planning application to their Local Authorities, subject to some limitations and conditions. Once the development project is complete, you will need to apply to your Local Authority for a Lawful Development Certificate of completion.

These guidelines are only applicable to Detached, Semi-Detached & Terrace houses for extensions, conservatories and loft conversions.

Grant for Planning Permission

A request for Planning Permission means asking your local planning authority if you can do a certain piece of building work. It will be granted (possibly subject to certain conditions) or refused.

You normally apply for planning permission to your local planning authority.

There are many smaller developments for private houses that don’t need planning permission. These are called ’Permitted Developments’.

You will always need to apply for Planning Permission if you wish to build in Designated Areas, which include national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

Steps through the Planning Permission process

We employ our own architects and surveyors that can take care of all of the Local Authority Planning or Permitted Development requirements for you, as well as draft any plans that may be required.